The form in which you save outlook emails as saving files is not the same as archiving them. Archiving a number of emails can still be confusing when you want to track something, the good old way of plan text messages from a single sender or a selected group of senders is possible only when you save files on the local system. Here’s a detailed step-by step guide describing how to save Outlook emails as files:
Saving Messages from Outlook emails as Plain Text
Converting Outlook emails into a plain text file onto Outlook is quite easy. This ability is included on Microsoft Outlook 2013, out of the box.
- Select the message/messages that you intend on converting to text file in Outlook
- Then from the menu in Outlook, click on File and Save As, pick “Text Only”.
- Click on “Save”, which will initiate the process.
You can use the native text export, which can help you quickly save one or more emails into one single text file. These messages will be arranged in the same order as they are arranged in the inbox.
This is an add-in that helps you save attachments in emails and save each email into a separate text file with unique file names. This installs as a portion of the tool bar in Outlook. Apart from saving Outlook emails as file (text file), it also helps in saving Outlook emails as PDF. Apart from PDF form, you can also save them as HTML, MHT, JPG, GIF, TIF, PNG, CSV etc. MessageExport helps you export an entire folder full of files, sub folders or single emails. How to use MessageExport to save Outlook emails as files
MessageExport works well with either Outlook 32 bit or 64 bit version. Here are the steps you will need to follow to get the emails in text format:
- Select the emails in outlook that you want to export.
- Click on the export target format from the drop down menu. Pick ‘Export to txt’.
- Click the Export button and the conversion starts.
- The Export From allows you to pick the location for the storage of files.
- The Export attachment lets you choose how MessageExport will process the attachments in the emails.
- Export name tab lets you specify a naming scheme.
- Compress Output tab lets you zip the selected files into a smaller zipped folder.
Organizing your emails in a text format helps in keeping track of email conversations, and it can be great when you need to quote from emails for references.